top of page
Double pass.jpeg
We are one of the biggest independent Driving Schools, starting from Cars, right the way through to Class 1 HGV on the Lorries. As part of the Mendip Training group, based near to Bath, Bristol and Radstock, at Truck School we have a fully comprehensive team of instructors. We can teach you how to drive HGV vehicles both rigid and articulated. New legislation also allows drivers to go straight into the articulated lorry without the need for a Rigid lorry test first. Our training will ensure drivers are competent in both rigid AND articulated even without the requirement for the rigid test. Rigid tests will still be available for drivers who do not want the larger entitlement as will articulated for drivers wishing to upgrade their current C entitlements.
We have an excellent pass rate, which is a testament to our instructor's knowledge and experience.
The Process;


Medical - To start this journey, you must first take a drivers medical. This is normally done with our recommended company, Forms can be downloaded directly from their site.


Theory test - There is a theory test consisting of 100 questions to show your knowledge and understanding of the road including drivers hours and rest breaks. This can be booked only once the provisional entitlement has been added to your licence.


Practical driver training - With 3 days of full on one to one training, you will negotiate roundabouts and box junctions in and around the driving test route areas. You will learn how to complete the reversing exercise ready for the practical test on day 4.


CPC Practical demonstration - This is a practical test taken at the driving test centre showing the examiner your knowledge about the vehicle demonstrating how you would complete a daily walk around check and also how you would deal with emergency situations such as a fire whilst driving on the motorway.


Apply for provisional - With the D4 medical form completed, you send off the completed D2 form to DVLA to get the cat C provisional entitlement put onto your current driving licence.


Hazard perception test - This is a test of your reaction speeds to developing hazards on the road. You will be shown dash cam type clips and you must click to register you seeing the developing hazard. You are scored on your reaction time.


CPC case studies - To drive the lorry for work purposes, you may need a drivers CPC card. The initial CPC is the simplest way to gain your first CPC card which involves taking another theory test called 'Case Studies'. This is a test of your knowledge and understanding of the haulage industry day to day job role.


Digital Tachograph card - Although this is not a requirement, most modern vehicles have a digital tachograph and you can not drive one of these without holding the card. There is no test for this but you must complete and send off the form with payment of currently £32.00

bottom of page